Air fryers are all the rage right now. People are making their own fried wings, mozzarella sticks, chicken tenders, and more, right from their very own kitchens. Sometimes you get a craving for salty, crunchy fries and nothing else will satisfy that hunger. If you want to satisfy your craving but also try a healthier option, look no further than avocado fries in the air fryer.
Air Fryer vs. Deep Frying
The conventional method for making fries and other fried foods is deep frying. To deep fry food, you fully immerse it in oil over high heat. Deep frying crisps the outside by removing the water from the external layer. Deep-fried food is incredibly flavorful, but also contains large amounts of calories due to the oil used to cook it.
Air fryers are similar to convection ovens. A fan at the top of the fryer blows hot air around the food inside, cooking it from all sides at once. The result is a crispy exterior with a tender, juicy inside. Not having to submerge your food in oil means fewer calories in your meal.
Making Avocado Fries in the Air Fryer
- 3 avocados, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Avocado oil spray
Instructions For Avocado Fries in the Air fryer
- In a small dish, combine the flour, chili powder, paprika, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
- Next, in another dish, crack the egg and beat it until frothy.
- In a third dish, place the breadcrumbs
- Roll an avocado slice first in the flour mixture, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with all avocado slices.
- Grease the air fryer basket lightly with avocado spray and place the avo slices in it, making sure to keep some space between each one. Lightly spray the fries with more oil.
- Air fry on 390 degrees Fahrenheit for about seven minutes, flipping the fries halfway through. Adjust the time based on your desired level of crispiness.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy avocado fries in the air fryer!